Stirling & O’Connell was formed in 1996 by Criminal Defense Attorney Michael P. O’Connell and Family Law Attorney Ann M. Stirling. The husband and wife team practiced together until Ann’s retirement in 2015. Today the firm is solely operated by Michael.
Stirling & O’Connel specializes in three areas of practice—criminal defense, family law and personal injury. Legal representation is provided by Michael O’Connell and aided by Donna Dodds. Donna has been with the practice since 1996.
Michael P. O’Connell, Attorney at Law
Everyone is entitled to good legal counsel, and Michael O’Connell offers just that. He is equipped to navigate challenging circumstances and has helped resolve hundreds of cases—from conspiracy to matters of custody and everything in between. Michael has been recognized by “Best Lawyers in America” every year since 1997 and received an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell in 2016. He is a member of the South Carolina Bar and a former member of the Resolution of Fees Disputes Board for the South Carolina Bar.
- 1996 | Partner, Stirling & O’Connell
- 1986-1989 | Member and Administrative Law Judge, South Carolina Occupational Health and Safety Review Board
- 1992 & 1995 | Faculty Member at the Trial Practice Institute, National Criminal Defense College
- 1992 & 1994 | Adjunct Professor of Political Science, The Citadel
- 1991-1996 | Assistant Federal Defender for the District of South Carolina
- 1980-1982 & 1988-1991 | Chief Public Defender for Charleston County
- 1969-1971 | Sergeant US Army, 1970-1971 Vietnam
- 1983 | US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- 1981 | US District Court, District of South Carolina
- 1979 | Admitted to District of Columbia
- 1975 | Admitted to South Carolina Bar
- University of South Carolina, J.D.
- Belmont Abbey College, B.A.