Protecting Your Interests In Family Law Matters
Attorney Michael O’Connell has years of experience resolving family law issues, including:
- Divorce: There are two options to pursue a divorce in South Carolina. Fault divorce involves wrongdoing by one spouse, such as domestic violence. No-fault divorce usually involves irreconcilable differences.
- Dividing assets: Dividing marital property isn’t always as splitting everything 50-50. To protect your financial interests, seek the help of an experienced lawyer.
- Dividing retirement accounts: Mr. O’Connell is experienced at drafting qualified domestic relations orders (QDROs) to divide pension plans and 401(k) accounts.
- Child custody: Determining child custody can become a highly emotional issue in divorce. It’s important to put your children’s best interests first.
- Paternity: In South Carolina, unmarried mothers do not have the right to child support and unmarried fathers do not have the rights to custody or visitation until they establish paternity.
- Enforcement: If your ex is not complying with a court order, we can get the order enforced by a judge.
Whenever possible, we choose to resolve family law issues through negotiation. Two people can usually come up with a better solution than a judge. But if the other side is unreasonable, attorney Michael O’Connell is a highly experienced trial lawyer who will advocate for your best interests in the courtroom.
Learn more about Mr. O’Connell’s background and credentials.